The ancient village of Novilara, surrounded by solid defence walls, is about 4 km from Pesaro, in a dominant position on top of one of the hills that separate the valley of the Foglia from the one of the Metauro rivers.
It was built to replace an older castle, built toward to the east probably around AD 1000: maybe because it was too old and small, or because crumbling and falling to the constant wars, the castle of Novilara was abandoned in the early 1300s and rebuilt more to the west part, on the hill where it still stands.
The track going from Novilara (location Santa Croce) down to the road dei Condotti winds for about a mile in a landscape that alternates between the cultivated fields and the woods joining the area of the necropolis picena to the Roman aqueduct, which has played a role extremely important for Pesaro and its inhabitant.
Novilara is just 3.5 km from Villa Moni, reachable in 7 minutes by car. Here are the most characteristic restaurants in the area, offering typical dishes.